Put a Freeze on Winter Fires: Heating Fire Safety
You can prevent the loss of life and property resulting from heating fires by being able to identify potential hazards and following a few safety tips:
• All heaters need space. Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet away from heating equipment.
• Use heating equipment that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
• Make sure all fuel-burning heating equipment is vented to the outside to avoid carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
• Only purchase portable space heaters with an automatic shut-off so if they’re tipped over they will shut off.
• Allow wood stove and fireplace ashes to cool before disposing of them in a tightly covered metal container. Keep the container at least 10 feet away from your home.